Sunday, June 05, 2005

PC Naming

It has just occurred to me that in my last post I referred to the names of my PCs, and that many people might not know what the hell they mean.

Some time ago I wondered about a cool naming scheme for my personal PCs. I've heard of naming schemes based on beers, drugs, planets, Star Trek ship classes and Star Wars characters. I wanted to do something a little different, and so decided to base mine on musical modes.

Modes are basically scales, each with its own distinctive sounds. For more information, see here: Wikipedia (Musical Modes)

To briefly summarise:

  • Ionian
  • Lydian
  • Mixolydian
  • Dorian
  • Phrygian
  • Aeolian
  • Locrian


So I can have five more PCs before I run out of names. I doubt that I'm going to have that problem any time soon!

Amusingly, the Wikipedia page includes in its description of the Locrian scale the following: "It is highly unstable". Funny that I happened to name a Windows PC after that mode...

No comments: